Jogging is only for athletes, isn’t it? It often seems that way, but any beginner can learn to jog with a few simple tricks.
In this article we answer the most important questions that arise when learning to jog. We also give you tips on what you should pay attention to as a beginner when jogging and which mistakes you should avoid.
- Jogging is one of the endurance sports and can be practiced by anyone regardless of their level of performance and experience. The only requirement is that there is no serious damage to health.
- The right equipment can not only make jogging easier, it can also be beneficial for health reasons.
- When jogging, it is important to increase your performance slowly and continuously.
Learning to jog: what you should know
Now we would like to address the most important questions that arise when you want to start jogging. This gives you all the information you need to learn to jog.
Who is jogging for?
Jogging is suitable for anyone who does not have any health problems that prevent jogging. This could include severe cardiovascular diseases or being very overweight. Jogging is also suitable for many different purposes.Age does not matter when jogging.
Usually we used to jog to exercise endurance or to lose weight.
Because the results and progress can be seen quickly while jogging, impatient people or people who quickly lose motivation when the results are only visible late.
In addition, jogging is suitable for anyone who wants to do sports without much effort. The advantage is that you don’t have to take out a subscription to the gym.
For which diseases is jogging suitable?
Endurance sports, including jogging, are suitable both for preventive disease prevention and to alleviate symptoms. Jogging is a sensible sport in order to strengthen the health of the body, especially with the following clinical pictures.
- Cardiovascular diseases: Slow jogging for 10 minutes a day has a positive effect on the cardiovascular system. According to a study, the risk of dying from cardiovascular disease also drops by almost two thirds.
- Diabetes: Even low endurance activities reduce the risk of diabetes by 30%. In addition, the HbA1c value of diabetics fell by 0.5-0.7%.
- Depression / Stress: Jogging improves both physical and mental well-being. Studies also show that jogging for 30 minutes a week has a similar effect as taking antidepressants.
- Weak immune system: Endurance sport makes the body less susceptible to infections, autoimmune diseases or chronic inflammation. This is because endurance sports activate B and T cells in the blood.
How do you start jogging?
Before you start jogging, you should make sure that there are no health problems that can be exacerbated by jogging.
First, find simple running routes. Especially flat stretches with little incline are ideal for this. This way you will not be distracted as much and you can concentrate on your running technique at the beginning.
You should also determine your own running pace and not let other joggers confuse you if they are faster than you. It’s a suitable pace if you can still chat while jogging. In order to increase your performance in the long term, it makes sense to increase your running speed for shorter distances.
At the beginning, beginners should not orientate themselves to kilometers, but to the time. 15-20 minutes, which are individually divided into running and walking phases, are enough.
What equipment do you need for jogging?
Basically, you don’t need any equipment for jogging. For people who go jogging regularly, however, a certain basic equipment is suitable. Above all, this includes the right shoes, clothing or a fitness watch. These things not only make jogging more comfortable, but also protect your health.
- Shoes: Make sure that the shoes are adapted to your running style. Specialist shops are suitable for this, which adapt the shoes to your appearance, your posture and weight. In addition, the shoes should also be suitable for the surface conditions of your running route.
- Clothing: There is now a huge selection of sportswear. So-called functional materials are particularly suitable for jogging. These keep you warm and, unlike other materials, do not absorb moisture that could cool the body.
- Fitness watch: The fitness watch is a useful tool to find out more data about your running style. Fitness bracelets usually offer many functions. It usually determines data such as the heart rate, the current speed, the time, the kilometers traveled or even a navigation. A fitness watch is particularly suitable for documenting and comparing your progress.
- Apps: Similar to a fitness watch, it evaluates all GPS data. This means that it averages the distance and kilometers run, the current and average speed, and the duration of the jogging unit. You can also often share your results with friends and save your progress.
Is there a certain running technique?
The right running technique not only makes jogging easier, it is also gentle on the joints. An improper running technique also increases the risk of injury. A good running style is all about your legs and arms, as well as your hips, upper body and head.
When jogging, make sure that your foot always touches the ground under your body. This means that the lower leg is perpendicular to the ground before the foot hits. So you keep your momentum while jogging.
Arms should be bent when running at 80-90 degrees. They vibrate close to the body. To avoid cramping, it helps to keep your hands loose or open instead of making a fist ( 7 ) .
Make sure that your upper body is leaning slightly forward and not backward. Keep your hips straight while jogging. The body should be in an upright posture overall. The head is also directed forward.
How do you keep the motivation to jog?
After you’ve started jogging, it’s important to persevere and not lose motivation.
For this, it is suitable to arrange to go jogging with others. So you have set a fixed date that you can no longer postpone or cancel anytime soon. It is also more fun to jog with others, as it is no longer just a boring exercise session, but more of a meeting with your friends.
However, you should make sure that your running partner is at a similar level of performance as you. This way you do not have the pressure to keep up with the other person.
However, those who prefer to go jogging alone can distract themselves with music or a podcast. So you are a little distracted and watch the clock all the time or think about the route that is still ahead.
It can also be motivating to use an app or a fitness watch to document your results and see your progress. Because jogging is a sport in which you can see success relatively quickly. This will also increase the motivation to keep going.
What mistakes should you avoid while jogging?
While jogging is such a supposedly simple sport, there are some aspects to watch out for. There are many little pitfalls, especially for beginners, that we now want to clear up for you.
- Do not warm up before jogging: To avoid injuries, it is important to warm up sufficiently before jogging and not to start running straight away.
- Not drinking enough: If you plan to run a long distance, you should have enough drinking or food with you. Otherwise, too little fluid in the body can lead to exhaustion or even to a collapse. A small snack is also suitable for circulatory problems to get the circulation going again.
- Start too fast: It is important to start the training session slowly. Many wanted to show at the beginning how fast they are, but after a short time the exhaustion comes. In addition, it is not good for the circulation to give full throttle straight away.
- With other comparisons: Especially as a beginner, you shouldn’t compare yourself to other joggers or try to keep up with them. Keep your own pace while jogging.
- Jogging too often: A lot of exercise is healthy, but endurance sports should not be done every day. About 3 training units a week make sense because the body needs time to regenerate.
What alternatives are there to jogging?
In addition to jogging, there are many sports that can be done as an alternative or in addition to jogging. Since jogging does not train all major muscle groups, other exercises should also be done. Otherwise it can lead to muscle imbalance.
In addition, the following sports offer an alternative for those people who should not jog for health reasons.
- Cycling: The training effect of cycling is similar to that of jogging. When cycling, the cardiovascular system and muscles play just as important a role as when jogging. Cycling is also very gentle on the tendons, ligaments and joints.
- Walking: Walking is a good way to slowly improve your fitness. It is less stressful for the body and, despite this, uses the same muscle groups as jogging. In addition, when walking faster, you have a similar calorie consumption as when running slowly.
- Swimming: Swimming is particularly gentle on bones and joints and is therefore suitable for people with previous illnesses or who are overweight.
Ultimately, it turns out that anyone can start learning to jog. The only reason that might keep you from jogging now is health problems. With a bit of perseverance and motivation, jogging will no longer be as difficult as you imagined at the beginning.
Because when jogging, it doesn’t matter who is the fastest or who can cover the longest distance.
We hope we have given you the motivation you need to start jogging with this article.